Two Cuba-Headed Aid Ships Reported Lost subsequent to Departing Mexican Waters.
A extensive rescue and recovery operation is actively ongoing in the Caribbean Sea for two unlocated sailing vessels loaded with humanitarian supplies en route from Mexico to Havana.
Maritime Search Operations Deployed
Authorities in Mexico has sent naval assets and military search aircraft to locate the Friendship and Tigger Moth, which were carrying a minimum of nine personnel, per a official statement.
The vessels had been projected to make landfall in Cuba's capital on either Tuesday or Wednesday, but there has been a complete lack of contact from them and no official word of their docking, the navy said.
The Situation of Relief to the Nation
The island nation has depended significantly on Mexico's over recent weeks, as the country struggles through multiple nationwide blackouts.
"Both captains and crews are veteran seafarers, and each boat are outfitted with appropriate safety systems and emergency beacons," a spokesperson associated with the mission commented.
The nine individuals on board are from France, Poland, the United States, and Cuba. Mexico said it has established contact with maritime rescue coordination centres from the involved countries along with their diplomatic representatives.
"Our team is co-operating fully with the officials and continue to be hopeful in the ability of the crews to reach Havana safely," the statement continued.
Previous Relief Delivery
Earlier in the week, the Cuban authorities warmly welcomed and warmly received a different ship that had transported a significant amount of relief supplies to the country.
That vessel, nicknamed "a new Granma" in reference to the vessel in which Castro returned to Cuba to begin the Cuban Revolution in the 1950s, brought solar panels, medicines, formula milk, bikes and food.
Broader International Backdrop
Non-governmental organizations and volunteers have largely spearheaded attempts to bring essential supplies to Cuba since January, a period which saw a fuel embargo on the country was initiated.
The United Nations have since highlighted ""critical" lack of essential goods, with in excess of fifty thousand operations called off in Cuba due to power shortages.
Diplomatic tensions have intensified in recent months, with comments from various representatives underscoring the delicate situation regarding bilateral relations.
Responding to recent proposals, a prominent Cuban official stated firmly that "the governance model of Cuba is non-negotiable."
Reports suggest that initial phases of negotiations had begun, although their current progress remains uncertain.
The maritime authorities affirmed it was committed to using the full extent of its capabilities at its reach to find the sailboats and guarantee the well-being of the crews.
As of now, there has been no official comment on the disappeared vessels by the Cuban leadership.